8.06.2008

out of the nest and rants

Adam and I have finally moved out of my mom's house, and now we rent a room with two other guys about five blocks down the road. Excitement...not really, but at least we're kind sorta on our own.

Discovered that in order to rent a one bedroom apartment, we'll have to shell out around $1300 a month. And those are the cheap ones. Disillusionment with jobs and living arrangements on this island have hit force, starting with my mom saying she'll need to charge me and Adam $900 a month for a bedroom we can barely move in. In her defense though, we would have gotten some free food and utilities paid for, but we just can't afford it.

I terribly miss California and all the fun that encompasses it. At least back home, if people tried to act all tough, they were put in check. Here, the locals (ie people that are of Hawaiian ancestry) act like they're hotter than color changing rubber duckies, and I've yet to find anything hotter than that. I have no problem pissing off the locals, saying stuff like, "Drop him off in LA, see if he still walks like a gangsta" or one of my favs "My people were getting the shaft before yours were even discovered." When they get really bitchy though, I remind the locals that they got an official apology from the President, my ancestors got promises and treaties that were promptly broken as soon as possible.

Unfortunately for Adam, there aren't a lot of people that like him, mostly due to his whiteness and his outgoing behavior, so he feels like he has to walk on eggshells at times, and that sucks. But we both love that we live in a virtual rain forest and the beaches are magnificent, so maybe there's hope for us here yet...

No comments: